Thursday, January 6, 2011

Growing Things

Hooray! Christmas is packed and waiting to go to the storage shed. The pudding is being worked off. Snow is (finally!) on the ground and so it must be time for SEED CATALOGUES!

I have been (mostly patiently) waiting for the moment I could open these little beauties. It’s a time to contemplate the season when life begins again before the work of that new life kicks in. Sort of like pre-pregnancy planning. I was never such a good parent as I was before I got pregnant. Likewise, I’m never a better gardener than in January.

I’ve got three catalogues in my soil-stained hands. The Cook’s Garden (new to me this year), Burpee (don’t generally trust them after all those stupid little sticks I’ve planted and which never did more than mock me) and my favorite old stand-by, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. Someday, I’m going to make a pilgrimage to Mansfield, Missouri to worship at the altar of their tomato genius. I’ve been dropped by Seed Savers, which must have grown wise to my “circle it but never buy it” perusal of their wares.

I’m sure you’re all on the edge of your seats, dying to know what I’m going to plant. Me, too. This year, I’ve got a room set aside, with a window and a grow light, ready for me to start seeds early. I’m going to try tomato seeds. So far, tomato seeds have been like the lottery: always around but never fruitful in my hands. I’ll start them in a couple of weeks. Then, in the Spring, I’ll head over to the local family-owned farm to buy real tomato plants. It’s not pessimism. It’s realism. Realism sweetened by January hope.

1 comment:

Barbara Bee said...

Do you think we will get a "snow day" out of this latest snow storm? May all your seed-dreams come true:)