Sunday, November 7, 2010

Argh

7 year old is now 8 year old. She’s never been a dainty thing, and she chose a Pirate theme for her party. It went along with her pirate costume for Halloween and, honestly, her pirate-y nature. Argh.

See the volcano cake? It was a problem-solving cake. Several of her friends don’t like chocolate, but Birthday Party Girl loves chocolate (can’t figure where she gets that from). So, the top half is all chocolate and the bottom half is nothing like chocolate. Of course it had real smoke, a la dry ice, spewing from the top. A pirate broke into our house, left a treasure map, and disappeared. The 10 giggling girls followed the clues to a treasure chest full of gold coins, jewels (silly bands) and skull-n-crossbones suckers.

We divided the loot evenly because that’s the way this pirate rolls. And then came the problem. We’d done all the stuff. Every single thing I had planned. And we still had 20 minutes. 20 minutes of sugar loaded girls with nothing to do sounds like a recipe for mayhem. So we turned off all the lights and I told the story of the Dread Pirate Roberts who stole the gold and jewels and then, in turn, had it stolen from him. It involved audience participation. It was made up on the spot (thank you, Princess Bride, for giving us the Dread Pirate Roberts.) Toward the end of the story, I thought, “Gee, how am I going to get out of this plot line?” Luckily, the doorbell rang, I wrapped the story up in a very cheap, non-scary way, and the girls skee-daddled.

And now, I’m done with parties for a few months. I always love them when they’re done. We’ve been doing on-the-cheap parties this year, and while I love the convenience of making a phone call to, say, Jungle Time, and having that be the total extent of my involvement in the party, there’s something rewarding about making plans, buying craft supplies, and inventing a story on the spot. And, since all the guests were older and well-known to our family, none of the parents stayed. I hate it when parents stay. Deeply, traumatically hate it. If you ever come to a kid party at my house, please just drop the child off. I promise they’ll be safe and I promise they’ll have more fun if you aren’t here. I’ll have more fun if you aren’t here. I love being with kids. It’s the parents I sometimes can’t stand.

2 comments:

buttercup said...

Mama, You are so amazing. I like how you were able to capture their attention with the story. I can't believe she just turned 8 years old!

halsadick said...

I heard the story, and I thought it was awesome. Several of the kids said it was the best birthday party they had ever been to.