Friday, August 6, 2010

Nibble Lips

“He’s my little nibble-lips,” four year old said about Kissable Infant.

We’ve been nibbling on zucchini recently. I planted a total of 8 plants and got (drum roll) exactly 0, zero, zilch that produced. Last year, too, I managed to join the honor roll of Those Who Can Kill Zucchini. You envy me, I know, but some of us have skills and others just wish.

So, a friend who planted (honestly) 14 squash plants gave me good-for-bread zucchinis. 5 of them. We had chocolate zucchini cake, zucchini cookies (kids didn’t know about the squash in them), lasagna rolls with zucchini in the sauce, grilled zucchini (love to add cancer to my veggie), fried zucchini, crudite zucchini... I love zucchini. I love the way it's spelled. I love to say the word. I love the weed-like growth of everyone else's zucchini. If zucchini were a man, I might have to leave Hal. My kids, of course, are now rolling their eyes and saying things like, “Can we have carrots instead?” My answer: Yes. If you eat your zucchini first. Imagine, carrots during zucchini season. Save ‘em for the root cellar and eat your greens!

So, for good grades, they’ve chosen to go to a Moroccan restaurant. That means one night of eating sloppy food with fingers. I’m betting not a single item involves zucchini. But I won’t roll my eyes. There may be tomatoes, and tomatoes will soothe my heartache.

3 comments:

Barbara Bee said...

Zuchinin is good, but yellow crook-neck squash is my favorite.

Big Bahama Mama said...

The zucchini bridge?

Irish Cream said...

What? It can't be you who kills zucchini (I love writing the word, too), it must be your soil, or bugs, or maybe the plethora of snakes that seem to inhabit your garden.

I have a yummy "zucchini quesadilla" to add to your recipe if you need more variety. One of my daughter actually scrapes the insides with her teeth and leaves the tortilla. (However, this is the same child that would be a vegetarian except for hotdogs and hamburgers)