Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Good Man, Down

Goodbye, Daniel Schorr. You made me laugh, you made me think, and when I heard of your death, you made me cry. I will truly miss you.

I rarely care about the deaths, or near-deaths, of celebrities. Didn’t care at all about Gary Coleman, Dennis Hopper or George Steinbrenner. I got a bit weepy when Lena Horne died, I thought Salinger was already dead, so that didn’t bug me. My heart stopped when I heard that George Michael died, but it was a different George Michael, so that was okay. When Oral Roberts died, I wondered what he found and if he was welcome there. But a couple of deaths this year have brought me to tears.

Patrick Swayze--who didn’t get choked up? And I’ll admit publicly that I miss Senator Ted Kennedy. But I cried the hardest at NPR’s announcement yesterday. Daniel Schorr had been my personal News Analyst for the past 15 years. You’ve gotta respect a man who winds up on Richard Nixon’s enemies list and then doesn’t punch the man when he meets him in person. You’ve gotta love a man who sang, in concert, with Frank Zappa behind him and the Mothers of Invention backing him up. You’ve especially gotta love that man when he chooses a song from Porgy and Bess.

He published his memoirs in 2001, Staying Tuned: A Life in Journalism. I think I’ll sit shiva in my own way, with a tall smoothie and a good book.

3 comments:

buttercup said...

I cried when I found out that River Phoenix died. I was in the MTC. Not really sure why I cried, but I did.

Sara Padrusch said...

Oh honey, I am so there with you. I loved his perspective, his courage and his cranky voice. RIP Dan.

謝俊銘 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention..................................................................