Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rude Girl

So, you know that I spend my Sundays with the children at church, right? There’s one girl, not related to me, who never has a nice thing to say. In fact, she’s down-right rotten sometimes. For instance, last week we played a game with a bag of different items. Each item represented a job of the Holy Spirit, such as a blanket for “comforter”, soap for “purifier”, etc. As a child pulled out an item, we’d talk about what that represented. I called on Rude Girl because she just will not be denied (think Horshack). She pulled an apple out of the bag (“teacher”). And, in an obnoxiously loud voice, she said, “I chose the stupidest thing I could find.”

Smack.

Well, you also know that one of my touch-points is nose-picking. Especially when it gets wiped on things that I might touch, like a chair at church. Rude Girl, in the front row, was going to town on her nose. I quietly set the box of tissues on the chair next to Rude Girl, which was empty. It’s usually empty. I’m not the only victim of her caustic comments. Picking up the box, and interrupting a brilliant flow of teaching from me, she hollers, “What’s this for?!?”

I smiled.

And said, in my best “gee, I tried to be discreet” voice, “Well, those are in case anyone’s nose gets itchy. Then, she could use a tissue.”

Now, I hadn’t set the whole thing up to embarrass her. I’m not that clever. But the evil part of me grinned that her own rudeness came back at her with such force.

It’s pathetic to have a 9 year old as a nemesis.

4 comments:

buttercup said...

Those 9-yr-olds turn into the adult nemeses. Have fun with her....

育財 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。......................................................................

BlueSkiesBreaking said...

Can impart knowledge, wisdom can not. Each person must be his own.

Irish Cream said...

I know excatly how you feel!

Only with me it was a three-year-old throwing sand in my face. I asked her a few times, kindly, to stop. I even then went over and showed her how to do it correctly.

I barely paused on my way to the car when I she was sitting in the sand crying because she got some in her eyes. Paused long enough to say, "That is why we ask you not to throw sand".

I think you were much nicer than I was...