Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sleep

I am superfluous. In fact, I’m worse than unnecessary. I’m in the way. The four year old never says this, but she reminds me of it frequently. Here’s how it usually happens. I place Baby One in bed. He fusses. I close his door and go downstairs. Four year old opens his door and gets him out of bed. If she’s busy with her myriad other agenda items, she brings him to me and tells me that he’s awake. Clearly, he’s awake. He hasn’t had time to fall asleep yet. If Better Mother Than Me has nothing else to do, she plays with him in his room, trying to keep him quiet so that I don’t ruin things by putting him back in bed.

This has happened almost every day for the past 2 weeks. No amount of, “Please leave the baby alone,” or, “I know he’s crying. He needs to put himself to sleep,” has done any good. She nods, says, “Okay, Mommy,” and then proceeds to do whatever she wants to do. Obviously, God made a mistake by putting me in charge. And if the Infant grows up with rotten sleep patterns, he can blame the Donna Reed clone just older than him who won’t let him fall asleep.

2 comments:

BlueSkiesBreaking said...

Please continue to publish a good article! Oil fuel oil!

Jody England Hansen said...

I always knew Donna Reed was a clone!