Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Every Body Eats Part 3

When they’re outside, rats pee on them. Bugs crawl on them. Birds poop on them. It’s not like digging one out of the trash is any nastier than its natural state. So the tomato was under some stuff. So what? I washed it. With hot water.

In an age where mass packaged lettuce can give you ecoli, I figure a little kitchen garbage isn’t going to hurt more than eating in general. There’s bacteria in my Tylenol, salmonella on my strawberries and cancer in the cell phone my son chews on. (How else can I get through a Costco experience? Just walking into the behemoth makes the baby wail. I’ve gotta get my package of 182 diapers.)

Besides, we were having hamburgers and tater tots. Garbage on the tomatoes was the healthiest part of the meal.

I had a friend who once railed on people who taste test while cooking. Oops. Glad she didn’t see all the fingers in the bowl of the chocolate chip cookies we made and which she was eating.

Makes you wanna come over for dinner, don’t it?

3 comments:

buttercup said...

I just watched Food, Inc. and I will take your tomato from the trash can and your food tasting over what I saw in that documentary. I just found me a nice local family farm to buy my meat from from now on.

Jody England Hansen said...

I will come to your house for dinner anytime, with or without garbage tomatoes.

Irish Cream said...

Hey, if I don't have to cook it, prep it, serve it or clean up after it, I'm game for just about any kind of food.

And, how do you NOT taste test while cooking? How do you know if what your making is any good? And, personally, I always thought it a little cruel when I'd ask my grandma for the beater and she'd hand me a completely cleanly-finger-scraped beater. I only had a ghost-taste of the batter. I always make sure there's LOTS of stuff left on the beaters I offer people.

So, dinner at my place or yours? Oh, the airfare might be a bit expensive.