Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Don't Sweat It

I have proof! You don’t actually have to exercise in order to improve your health or lose weight. I read about it in a most helpful study done by the Department of Psychology at Harvard (that’s pronounced Hah-vahd). They split 84 female room attendants into 2 groups. One group was informed that cleaning hotel rooms is good cardio. The other group didn’t get any such happy information. The first group “showed a decrease in weight, blood pressure, body fat, waist-to-hip ration, and body mass index” without any change in actual behavior.

Oooh, how do I love this study!

But the question arises: if I know it’s a study, and I know it’s in my head, will the effect be diminished?

Hal says that one possibility is that the first group did their work with more vigor and vim because they perceived themselves to be working out. I say, “Quite raining on my parade, male-being. Just because you can drive by a gym and lose weight does not mean that the rest of us wouldn’t like an easier way to drop the jiggle.”

I think I’ll try the study in my own life. I’ll believe that raising the spoon to my lips is good cardio (ice cream weighs quite a bit, you know.) And I know I’ll lose weight. I think it will probably work as well as sleeping on my Algebra book worked. I’m a math whiz, as proven by the “what’s 4 times 8?” query I just lobbed to the oldest child.

I wonder if the same idea works with height? I’ve always believed I was meant to be more Heidi Klum, less Danny Devito.

2 comments:

halsadick said...

"Male-being?" That tears it. I'm calling you "little mama" or "luv cakes" from here on out. Take your pick.

BlueSkiesBreaking said...

Seeing how you weigh next to nothing, I'll try out this study. You don't have any jiggle on you to lose!