Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Baby Talk

The baby has stopped nursing in order to have a conversation. This is my favorite part of breast feeding. I love looking down at the child, all smiles and coos. I love when he curls into me, so excited at having my attention. This is the part that I’ll miss when he weans himself. Would it be wrong for me to randomly nurse other people’s children? I mean, if I’m going to be that crazy old lady who embarrasses her kids, I might as well do something I love in the process.

My church has a “mother’s lounge”. That’s euphemistic for “stinks like poop with ratty old chairs”. The one in this building comes in the form of a completely sound proof, tiled room which stays nice and cold in the winter. It also has a resident mouse. I appreciate the efforts of those who thought of putting in a nursing room. I refuse to use it. Not only do I get enough rodent life in my own home, but the idea of being topless in a room that never gets above 60 degrees really makes me want to hit someone. I thought briefly about nursing in the room where all the old men meet to talk about whatever it is old men talk about, but then I decided it would be smelly in there, too. So, I nurse in the room with all the little kids. I figure, I’ve got a wrap-around-your-neck blanket (alternately called a nursing blanket or a Hooter Hider, depending on how stiff your starch is) that effectively hides the baby and me. I sit in the back, singing with the rest of the kids, and it’s all a very happy Kumbaya moment.

I’ve been known to walk around stores with the changed-my-world blanket draped over the kicking, chatting, occasionally-nursing baby. It’s all very effective: I get the grocery shopping done, the baby gets Mommy-time and we’re all very modest.

Except when the baby wants to talk. He’s good with his hands and can move the blanket aside now. I’ve started putting the blanket over my head, too, so that we’re both inside. We have lots of talks this way and have become very close since he started using his words. When he’s done, and has finished his meal, I take the blanket off. I’ve noticed several polite “not looking at you because that’s embarrassing” stiff-postured people after I’ve uncovered, especially when I’m in a store. What I don’t know is: are they embarrassed because I’m nursing, or because I’ve just been having a conversation under a blanket with a 4 month old?

2 comments:

Barbara Bee said...

What fond memories. I have decided that you definitely should think about publishing some day. You would be really good at writing those Junie B. Jones books -- quick wit, descriptive--and observant. I am glad that you are enjoying baby time:)

BlueSkiesBreaking said...

Definitely the nursing thing because everyone knows that a conversation with a 4 month old is totally normal!