Sunday, December 13, 2009

Saints and Angels Sing

The hymnbook at my church contains 341 songs. Here’s a math problem for you: with 341 songs, and 52 weeks to sing, assuming 2 songs each week, how long would it take you to sing each song in the book? The answer: you’d never sing them all because no chorister has ever chosen “Brightly Beams Our Father’s Mercy” or “God’s Daily Care”. But you would grow deathly bored with “Called to Serve” and “Israel, Israel, God is Calling” because you would sing those at least once a month.
Here’s another math problem for you: if you have 4 weeks between Christmas and the New Year, and you have 15 songs that can be sung only during that time, how many songs would you need to sing each week in order to sing them all? The answer: 8 songs, because the chorister wouldn’t choose any Christmas songs the first 2 weeks of December. I suffer through the singing during the rest of the year largely on the hope that, come Christmas, we’ll sing “Once in Royal David’s City” or “With Wondering Awe”. And if it’s a very good year and I’ve been especially obedient and docile, we sing “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.” I absolutely swoon when I see that on the register.
I must have been particularly rotten this year. We have yet to sing a single Christmas song and we’ve only got 2 weeks left in the season. Today we sang 2 songs that, while lovely, made me want to weep with hopelessness. Another week out of my favorite season wasted on songs that can be sung any ol’ day of the year. Last week, I threatened Hal. I told him I was going to sing “Far Far Away on Judea’s Plains” in stead of “Where Can I Turn for Peace,” which is what the rest of the congregation was singing. I cajoled, bullied and pestered him, but he refused join me. The chorister is a friend of ours and Hal is slightly afraid of her.
Here’s what I’m going to do. I’m going Christmas caroling at the house of every church leader in our local area. When they hear my caterwauling, they’ll beg me to stop singing. But I won’t. Nope. First, they’ll have to promise to coerce the chorister into singing Christmas songs the entire season next year. And this year? I want “Ring Out, Wild Bells” on the 27th or I’m going to record myself singing Christmas songs and play it through the intercom system at church. One way or another, I’m getting my Christmas fill or someone’s gonna suffer.

7 comments:

buttercup said...

I need my Christmas songs too. But Please don't ever make me sing ring out wild bells again.

ellen said...

The Arlington Ward men sing "Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy" every year or so. :)

And, our bishopric/ward council/PEC sings a song each week (well, one verse of each song) and we're plowing through the hymnbook!

I hope you get some Christmas songs soon -- time is running out!

Barbara Bee said...

Your post made me feel merry because one of my callings (yes, one of them) in our new branch is ward pianist and today we sang: With Wondering Awe, Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains AND Away in a Manger. Becoming a branch pianist has its privileges because I get to pick the hymns:)

Alecia said...

So we sang "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day", "O' Little Town of Bethlehem", and "With Wondering Awe" today! It was a Christmas music sort of day, except the sacrament hymn which I don't think anyone in the ward knew including the choirister ( that is spelled so wrong and I don't even care) and pianist!

Big Bahama Mama said...

Barbara, I'm going to start going to church with you. Will your husband call me as the greeter? I'd love to be a branch greeter.

Jody England Hansen said...

I would sing Christmas songs from July through to June if I could get away with it. My pleas are being ignored as well, and I am not nearly as subtle as you. We might have to combine our voices for the cause.

Emily said...

I beg to differ with everything you said. I have chosen all those songs as chorister. You just don't know the right people. I even checked with my stake president (my dad) about whether sacrament hymns had to come from those traditional 20. Guess what--they don't. So, I used it as another place to plug new songs. Of course, not everyone approved of my methods. Maybe that's why I'm now a mere pianist.