Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ding Dong

I know it has an apostrophe that isn’t supposed to be there. I’ve been racking my brain to come up with some pithy explanation about why it’s correct to put the possessive apostrophe on “Bahama Mama’s” when we do not, in fact, possess anything. At least, the Christmas cards we sent out don’t say what we possess. I tried to tie in “possession” as in “spawn of the devil”, but I couldn’t make it work. I also briefly thought about going to Strunk and White to see if I could pull out some archaic reason, but then I remembered that I hate that book and only keep it around as a threat to myself. “Put down the cake, girl. Don’t make me get out the Strunk and White!” I could have lied about why “Merry Christmas from the Bahama Mama’s” is correct and I’ll bet only a handful of you would have checked up on me, but it’s really, really close to Christmas and I’m tottering on the verge of Santa’s Naughty list, so I decided not to push it. I’ve got my fingers crossed for a pony.
What can I say? I’ve been too long away from Henry James. I even caught myself misusing “I” as in “He brought chocolate for Hal and I.” I spent a whole night reminding myself that objects are always “me”. Well, not the whole night. I spent part of the night wishing I had majored in something less related to my life, like math. Interspersed with wishing someone had, in fact, brought us chocolate.
So, I apologize for disturbing your perfect Grammar World this holiday season. I think I’ll go possess myself a giant Cadbury with raisins and nuts as consolation.

5 comments:

Sara Padrusch said...

Loved the card! Also, you guys make the cutest kids! xoxo

Alecia said...

Mistakes happen. It makes it that much more fun. At least you didn't spell your name wrong, or get the year wrong.

buttercup said...

There was a grammar mistake? I was too busy looking at those cute kids of yours to notice.

Jody England Hansen said...

Where's my card? There is some homemade Hot Fudge in it for you if we get one.

Emily said...

Phew. Good thing the card was too cute for me to notice the stray apostrophe. And I'm pretending you didn't tell me about the "I" issue. I'm feeling generous because YOU SENT ME CHOCOLATES!! Yes, it was weeks ago, and I keep forgetting to thank you, but that's because I'm still enjoying them. We hid them behind the recipe books so we could enjoy them without chocolate-ignorant kids. Thank you, Lady Godiva! Oh, and the chocolate lady, too.