Sunday, December 7, 2008

Feast on This

I just ate 6 chocolate waffle cookies with chocolate icing. A friend made them for me, well, ostensibly for my whole family, but between Hal and me, the kids only got one each. Chocolate isn’t good for them, anyway. Makes them hyper. Me, I’ll just take a sleeping pill to counteract the caffeine.
Tomorrow, I’m going to make caramel lace cookies. I tried to make them in Houston, but the near-underwater levels of humidity rendered them soggy lumps of goo. I ate them anyway, but it wasn’t any fun and so I’m looking forward to polishing them off this year.
I also make Divinity at Christmas, but this is one food I don’t enjoy. I make it because my mother made it, so it’s a tradition. I believe strongly in traditions, to the point that I make a particular Jell-O salad every Thanksgiving even though I am, literally, the only person I know who will eat it. I have stopped doubling the recipe so I’m not completely robotic about Holiday Agenda Items.
Other food issues crop up this time of year for me. For instance, every year, we all get our favorite sugar cereal. Since it’s the only time during the year that I buy that junk, it’s a big deal. Except for me. About 4 years ago, Honeycomb changed their formula so now their cereal tastes like round Cap’n Crunch. Which makes my teeth ache, gets soggy as soon as it gets in the same room with milk and does not remind me of my carefree youth the way Honeycomb did. So, I’m out of cereal options. There is not a single cereal I would buy for myself. I don’t mind eating them, but as a Santa gift? Not in this Winter Wonderland. I think I have it figured out for this year, though. We leave all those cookies out for the Jolly Elf on Christmas Eve, right? And you have to have an assortment, but you don’t leave every single cookie on the platter by the chimney, so I’m thinkin’ I’ll just set aside a couple dozen for myself, stick them in my stocking and call them “Breakfast Cereal.” Maybe a few gingersnaps, some Mexican weddings, a mint iced brownie or two… It’ll keep my energy level up for the present opening, after which I can crash on my bed for a couple of hours to sleep off the sugar headache. Sounds like the best Christmas of all, and a great new tradition.

1 comment:

halsadick said...

I hear that Santa really likes petit fours. And he likes a wide assortment. Hint, hint.