Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thin Refers to the Cookie, Honey

The nine year old sits in the front yard. She yells, “I want ten thousand Girl Scouts to come to my house! Is anyone a Girl Scout? Come to my house!”
Go back in time with me 10 minutes. We’re in the kitchen, where she expresses concern over a social conundrum. 3 of her dear friends, it turns out, belong to Girl Scouts. Who will we buy from when cookie season hits us?
“I’ll buy at least one box from each Girl Scout who comes to our door,” I promise, feeling expansive.
If my daughter’s advertising works, I’ll have to put up barriers to prevent the G.S.’s from getting to our door. I’m thinking foaming dogs and smelly skunks ought to do the trick. I might also threaten my daughter—no more friends from the Green Brigade or she’ll have to pay her own medical bills. And mine, since I’ve never passed up a frozen Thin Mint. Or an unfrozen Thin Mint. Or a melted, squashed, under-the-baby’s-carseat Thin Mint. Dang, it was hard to wrestle that one out of her fingers!

3 comments:

buttercup said...

Is it girl scout cookie season again?! My college roommates and I bought one box of each kind and did a scientific taste test to find out our favorites--Thin mints Do-si-dos and Samoas for me please! Although I think they have new ones, I'll have to do another taste test.

Callisto said...

What is it about thin mints that women love???? Its like "Yeah lets forego the ring-Just give me the thin mints and I'll love you forever."

BlueSkiesBreaking said...

I think people think you're joking about the taking thin mints from the baby thing...I happen to know better though! It still brings back disturbing memories for me...