Sunday, July 13, 2008

Louse

You’re so jealous of me. I just had the chance to call all of the parents of all of the kids in our church building to tell them that one of the kids has lice. This wasn’t my idea, just so you know. I would have preferred to discreetly call the two or three parents of the kids who sat close to this child during the meeting, but, heck, I'm directed by a higher power who felt that every parent has the right to know. I’m thinkin’ ignorance is bliss, and why make waves, but whatever. Here are some of the responses so that you can be prepared for this if it ever happens to you:
Most common response: “Thanks for letting me know. We’ll monitor our kid. Have fun with the rest of your calls.” I love this response. The phone call ended in 30 seconds, I felt warm and secure knowing that they wouldn’t make a big deal about it and that the lice infested child would not become an object of ridicule.
Most challenging phone call: “My child was sitting next to little girl X and little boy Y. Is he more at risk? Should I be more concerned?” My response: “Um, still not gonna tell you who has lice, so if you’re concerned, figure out what to do about it.”
Most annoying response: “I just told my teenage daughter and she said…” My response: “You told your teenage daughter? The one with the big fat mouth who is sure to blab it all over the entire world? You just told her? What, are you stupid?” Okay, I didn’t say that, but I thought it really loudly. The mother actually said, “Oh, I would never tell my younger child.” Oh, well in that case, go ahead and tell your chatty teenager because she certainly can be trusted to keep it to herself. ARGH!!!
As a precaution, I’m going to shave my kids’ heads. I mean, not to make a big deal about it or anything…

10 comments:

Stephen Tvedten said...

You can safely and effectively kill lice with salt water or a sauna - learn how to kill lice without killing yourself or the earth......

Pediculicide POISONS do not remove nits and are dangerous. Among the reactions to poison shampoo or lice "treatments" are seizures, mental retardation, many different allergies and respiratory problems, strange tingling, burning, itching, attention deficit disorders, brain tumors, leukemia, cancer and death.

I have used a sauna and/or salt water to safely and effectiely kill lice (but the nits remain).

I have also used ½ oz. of Safe Solutions, Inc. Lice R Gone® Enzyme Shampoo and/or their Enzyme Cleaner with Peppermint per shampoo-type application to safely remove both lice and nits.

Read how to safely control all pests at http://www.thebestcontrol2.com

Big Bahama Mama said...

I think this is the same Stephen who castigated me for using 20% vinegar and roundup. And I have a feeling that the website he so kindly references is one that he runs. Have I mentioned that I hate advertisers?

Stephen Tvedten said...

It is a free book - I never castigate anyone. All the best, Steve

Alecia said...

Ooooo... that sounds almost as fun as having fleas!

Stephen Tvedten said...

Dear Big Bahama Mama,

This is a nice summary, though it fails to point out some important relevant toxicity information regarding 'round-up' and warn of the hazards of handling 15% vinegar (acetic acid) but definitely worth reading:

http://thegreenguide.com/reports/product.mhtml?id=71&sec=3

All the best, Steve

The Stevens said...

mmm, I was going to leave a comment about how something similar happened with my 3yr olds preschool and me having to call my extended family and tell them there's a chance... but I'm a little displaced by this stephen character. I hope he's joking, because its one thing to have your own opinion and post it on your website then people can choose if they read it or not. And it is a whole other (very un-tactful) thing to force your opinion on someone else's website. Especially because stephen missed the whole point of the post.
So maybe I'm doing the same thing, but bahama mama, I don't look down on you for using certain products. And if you would like to moderate your comments so that you can approve them before they are posted, I'm sure you know how to change that setting. But if you don't and want assistance, I can totally tell you how.

Big Bahama Mama said...

I just love you! And thank you for the support. I never find your comments at all disagreeable. Instead, I'm happy to know that other people have similar experiences. And I'm also happy to hear that someone feels the way I do about some comments posted on my "give me love" site.
I'm sure Stephen is a very nice person who loves his trigger points and wants to share. That being said, I'll leave his comments in case my friends find them helpful, but I also give everyone permission to de-lice in a medically approved way. Please don't use my sauna. Ugh.

NotreDame Bailey's said...

After three months of delousing one summer, we finally called the physician and begged for some medical treatment. I then proceeded to wash EVERYTHING I could in hot water, and what I couldn't, I vacuumed (yep, even the leather couches!) and dumped the contents. I bought special mattress covers that "lock" everything in/out and finally we were lice free!

I must say, there is nothing more "guilty" about being the mother of the kids with lice, especially not knowing where they came from, or, even worse, how long they've had them. How many people do you call???

NotreDame Bailey's said...

BTW, the only way to get nits out is to PICK THEM ONE-BY-ONE! Nope, there are no chemical ("safe" or otherwise) that get them out.

Yeah, tedious, especially in a blond girl with hair 14 inches or longer.

Stephen Tvedten said...

Simply washing the hair and scalp once a week for three weeks in salt water or swimming in the ocean will kill all stages of head lice. Leaving the hair wet for one half hour causes the hair shaft to swell and cracks the nit glue. Protease will also eat the nit glue which is a protein in ten minutes if you have not previously used a pediculicide. All the best, Steve