Monday, July 7, 2008

Forever Young My Lily White...

Apparently, I’m old. This comes as something of a shock to me because I still feel 16. Being old and partially senile, awareness of my problem settled slowly. It began last week when I played chase with a group of under-10-year-olds. One of them said, “You’re pretty fast for an old lady.” I laughed—ah, the innocent remarks of youth. Then, just today, I saw an ad that sent me into fits of depression. An ad for a movie. A movie I consider to be one of the quintessential, age-defining movies of my generation. You know the one. Matthew Broderick plays a genius lurking inside a strapping 20-something body. Wow. Talk about pre-teen fantasies.
So, imagine my shock when the ad comes on and says, no kidding, that there will be a celebration to commemorate the 25th anniversary of War Games. 25!!!! That’s so old! That’s pre-digital, back when PacMan had kick-butt graphics and people still said things like “kick-butt”. OHMYGOSH!! Not only do they play Billy Idol on the “Oldies but Goodies” station, but now I have to endure watching my movie remade by stupid kids who won’t even appreciate what a cool thing Matthew did by subverting an entire governmental super-secret, top-officials-only computer.
And that’s how I know I’m old. It’s one thing to fall in love with a movie on American Movie Classics; it’s quite another to remember watching it in the theater. Now I know why Rod Stewart begged us to stay “Forever Young” and why the song made me want to gag a maggot. Besides the fact that a mostly-gay 80 year old man had chicks my age dancing around him, he piggy-backed on Alphaville’s most righteous tune by the same name and proved himself a total lame-o.
Anyway, point is, I have crossed over to the “remember when” side and I find it a scary, scary place indeed.

6 comments:

halsadick said...

One of the people I graduated from high school with now has a 17 year old daughter. He is not a grandpa yet, but it's possible he will be in the next couple of years.

DUDE!!

Byron said...

Wait - there was a VIDEO of that song? Did you see it on MTV? (Remember when... they actually showed music videos on MTV?)

D said...

Hi Bryn, I hope it's okay to log in a thought. Robyn has your link on her blog and I've enjoyed your writings very much.

I have to say, old is relavtive. ha ha. I remember going to the 25 cent movies on a Saturday afternoon with my brother. We were probably 10 and 11 and watched such notables as King Kong (the original with Faye Ray) Tarzan, Creature from the Black Lagoon and the like. The beginning feature was a newsreel from the war. I'm reminded of all this since we went to a WWII Memorial in Belgium last week. It's a beautiful tribute to American soldiers.

Anyway, I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not old. With a son that's turning 45 in a month, and a 22 yr old granddaughter its hard to do.

Keep up the writing, you are a natural. You should write a book.

Love Sister Edmunds
France FH Mission

Big Bahama Mama said...

Yay! Both Byron and Sis. Edmunds commented! My life is all roses now.

halsadick said...

In case it's not clear to everyone, bigbahama loves comments like bankers love money and chocolate loves peanut butter.

Byron said...

... and lawyers love laws? heh heh heh...